- 1 Pug price in India
- 2 What is the cost of Pug in India?
- 3 Why should you trust our Pug dog price in India?
- 4 A brief look at Pug in India
- 5 Pug dog price list in India
- 6 How to read our Pug puppy price in all major cities in India?
- 7 How to choose an original Pug puppy in India?
- 8 Factors that influence the Pug price
- 9 Alternatives to a Pug in India
- 10 Conclusion: Pug dog price
Pug price in India
Pugs took India by storm as the famous “Hutch dog.” Since then, Pugs have become one of the most popular small dog breeds in India. If you are looking to bring home this big-eyed, adorable, and funny little dog, you are in the right place.
In this post, Pug price in India, we take you through all the expenses you will incur when you bring home a Pug puppy. Also, you will learn about all the essential aspects of Pug ownership in India.
Being a pet parent is a joyful experience. If you are a first-time dog owner, don’t worry. The Pug is an excellent family dog, cute, adorable, comical, easy to care, and kid-friendly.
The most beautiful thing about being a pet parent to a Pug puppy is the unconditional love that a baby Pug shares. Remember, while dog ownership is lovely, it is also a responsibility. Dogs are just like people and need love and care.
Dog ownership in India is expensive. Dog prices in India have skyrocketed. Don’t make the mistake of assuming that your costs stop after you buy your Pug puppy.
Without proper planning, even a small dog breed such as the Pug can quickly become expensive. Hence, we urge you to plan your budget to avoid any unexpected financial strain.
What is the cost of Pug in India?
The average cost of a Pug dog in India ranges between ₹6000 to ₹18,000. A Pug puppy’s price depends on several factors, such as the location, quality of the puppy, breeder, cost of living, etc. The following are the crucial factors that influence the price of a Pug puppy.
- Show quality Pug VS pet quality Pug – A puppy Pug’s cost depends on its quality. Dog breeders use the word “quality” to define how closely a Pug puppy conforms to its breed standards. The Kennel Club of India officially recognizes the Pug breed and provides pedigree certificates (KCI paper). KCI follow UKC (United Kennel Club) breed standards.
- Male Pug versus female Pug pup – Due to the demand, a male Pug puppy will cost you more than a female Pug puppy.
- Breeder reputation – Buying your Pug puppy from a reputable Pug breeder will cost more than any other place. Show homes and show kennels have the best Pugs in the country, and they charge a premium for their puppies. Buying from a reputable breeder will ensure that you get a purebred Pug puppy and not a Pug mix.
- Location – Your home city will also influence this breed’s price. Pugs from big metro cities are more expensive than from smaller towns and rural areas.
Why should you trust our Pug dog price in India?
Before we go forward, let us address the elephant in the room. Why trust barks.in? The following are some of the reasons why you should trust our Pug dog price in India.
- At barks.in, we have over 30 years of substantial experience in the pet industry in India.
- We are dog lovers and dog breeders with tons of experience which we want to share.
- We also work with other breeders, dog brokers, and vets in India, giving us an in-depth understanding of India’s dog market.
Above all, we love dogs and want to share our experience with others like us.
A brief look at Pug in India
Owning a Pug puppy is a delightful and joyous responsibility. The Pug belongs to a group of dog breeds called the companion dogs. Pug is also one of the most ancient dog breeds in the world with origins in China.
Dog experts believe that Pugs are descendants of another Chinese dog breed, the Pekingese. Pug belongs to a group called the brachycephalic breed of dogs (dogs with a flat face).
A Pug dog has a life span of 12 to 15 years. Pug’s in India have a shorter life span of about 8 to 10 years. Their flat face and India’s intense summers cause breathing issues.
Pugs in India come in four colors. Fawn Pug is the most popular and common, followed by Apricot, Silver, and Black. Black Pug is the least common. Brindle Pugs are not available in India.
Sadly, Pugs also suffer from other major health issues. Bone and joint issues (Hip dysplasia), breathing issues, eye problems, skin disorders, and seizures (fits) are some of the common Pug health issues.
Remember, as a potential Pug owner, it is vital to know all about this breed before buying a Pug puppy. Never walk into a pet store and walk out with a puppy Pug. Learn all about them before you buy one.
As a dog lover, you need to provide proper care for your Pug all its life. The following are crucial for the welfare of your Pug pup.
- Provide your dog with high-quality dog food
- Provide a place for your puppy to live
- Sufficient physical exercise for it to be healthy
The cost of owning dogs in India is on the rise. As pet parents, you need to have a solid financial plan to ensure a worry-free ownership experience.
The temperament of a Pug
Pugs are excellent companion dogs. The following aptly describes a Pug’s temperament.
- Sometimes docile
- Most of the time, charming
- Exceptionally clever and funny
- Too stubborn and hard to train
- Sociable with everyone
- Playful with kids and family
- Quiet and not noisy
- Attentive but not a good guard dog
Pug dog price list in India
|City||Pet quality (₹)||Show quality (₹)||Total Annual cost (₹)||Food cost * (₹)||Vet cost * (₹)||Grooming cost * (₹)||Accessories cost * (₹)||Treat cost * (₹)||Insurance cost * (₹)||Others * (₹)|
Reading the Pug price list
- The cost of the Pug dog is adjusted based on the cost of living expenses in these cities.
- Prices in Indian Rupees
- ** Does not include the Pug puppy price
- * Average monthly cost
How to read our Pug puppy price in all major cities in India?
There is no consensus among Pug owners and breeders when it comes to pricing a litter. As a dog breeder and pet owner with several years of experience, we understand all the expenses in breeding dogs in India.
However, knowledge alone isn’t enough. We also need to account for regional differences such as the cost of living, demand, availability, quality of life, etc.
We believe in providing the best possible care for our dogs. Hence, our Pug dog price list assumes the following.
- Pug puppy from a good breeder – We believe in the long term welfare of the breed. Our price assumes a Pug litter from a good breeder. You can buy a Pug puppy from a puppy mill for much less. Our post does not account for such exceptions.
- Cost for providing the best care for your puppy Pug – There are good pet parents and awful pet parents. Our Pug price in India assumes the cost of proper care.
- Cost of high-quality dog food – Our Pug puppy price assumes the cost of high-quality dog food. Pug is a toy breed and does not need a lot of food like a German Shepherd. As a Pug owner, you can afford high-quality dog food for this toy breed.
In short, when you read our post, kindly assume that the expenses indicated here considers what is best for your Pug.
How to choose an original Pug puppy in India?
All Pug puppies look cute. It is impossible to look at a litter and determine its pedigree. The only way to be sure that your Pug is purebred and not mixed is to do the following.
- We recommend that you learn about this dog breed before buying a purebred Pug puppy.
- Find a reputable Pug breeder and look at the KCI certificates for the parents. Never buy a baby Pug if the parent dogs don’t have KCI papers.
- Avoid buying your puppy from a pet shop. Buy directly from a Pug breeder by visiting his home.
Factors that influence the Pug price
Let us now look at all the factors that influence a Pug dog price in India. Being a Pug owner is a joyous experience. This delightful toy breed will bring joy and companionship to your family.
Understanding all the expenses involved in Pug ownership will help you plan your finances better. Remember, owning a dog is a responsibility. Only buy a dog after you fully understand all the expenses involved.
Pug Puppy price
Your first expense in owning a Pug dog will be the cost of the puppy. Quality Pup puppies are expensive and are available only from good breeders.
We urge our readers to choose your Pug puppy from a reputable breeder. While buying from them will be expensive, it is the only way to ensure that you get a purebred Pug.
Most of us need only pet quality Pug puppies. A pet quality Pug is one that has some minor unnoticeable flaws/faults. Typically, one or two puppies from a litter are show quality puppies, and the rest are pet quality puppies.
If you are looking for a household pet, choose a pet quality as they will be less expensive than a show quality pug puppy. Remember, pet quality does not mean a mixed breed.
The following factors influence the Pug price in India.
- The dog breeder – The place from where you buy your puppy
- The quality of your puppy – Show quality Pug versus pet quality Pug
- The sex of the puppy – A male dog will cost slightly more than the female dog
The breeder factor
The most vital aspect for a good Pug dog breeder is the welfare of his dogs. We spare no expense when it comes to taking care of our dogs. It is also vital for us as dog breeders that our litter goes to homes where it will receive the best possible care. All of this adds to the overall expenses of a good dog breeder.
Hence, buying from a reputable breeder will cost you more than a puppy farm or a pet store with no such obligations towards the pups they sell.
Remember, a good dog breeder who takes his dog to a dog show provides the utmost care. Their Pugs are from the top bloodlines in the world. Some breeders import Chinese Pug from top show homes in China. Hence, a reputable Pug breeder will charge a premium for his pups.
On the other hand, buying from a pet store or a puppy mill will cost you less, but you compromise on the pedigree and the health of your Pug pup. You can buy your puppy from any one of the following places in India.
- Pet store
- Puppy mill
- Reputable breeders
- Regular home breeders
We don’t recommend buying your puppy from a pet shop. Pet shops buy their Pug puppies by lots (entire litter from puppy farms) and sell them. Pet shops cannot authenticate the purity of their litter. Most of the time, you will end up with a mixed breed, Pug.
All puppies look cute, and pet stores take full advantage of people’s ignorance and sell crosses or poor quality puppies. Some pet shops claim to have KCI papers as proof, don’t fall into that trap. One common trick that pet shops employ is to buy KCI papers from shady breeders and use it on their litter.
Only buy your Pug from a pet shop after ensuring the following.
- Insist on meeting the Pug breeder. In our experience, shady pet shop owners don’t allow such meetings to happen.
- Talk to the Pug breeder and check the facts.
- Check if the mother dog accepts the puppy.
- Insist on talking to other dog owners who bought puppies from this pet shop earlier.
Puppy mill/puppy farm
As the name suggests, a puppy mill is a breeding unit that breeds Pugs and other dog breeds only for money. Puppy farms typically have several dog breeds in small, confined places. Since money is their only goal, puppy mills don’t provide proper care for their dogs.
Avoid buying from a puppy farm at all costs. Even if they are willing to give you a Pug puppy for free, stay away from this place. Remember, most puppy farms work closely with pet shops to sell their puppies.
It is easy to spot a puppy mill. Since their goal is to sell their puppy somehow, they will readily haggle over price. They use phrases such as show winner, purebred Pug puppy, dog show winner, etc. please don’t fall for their tricks.
Did you know, most of the dog sales in India happen through brokers? Brokers are people who bring Pug breeders and pet lovers together. You can buy your puppy through a broker and not from a broker.
A good broker will work with several reputable breeders in their locality. They also have tons of experience in dealing with dogs. The good thing about buying your Pug puppy from a broker is the choices you have. A good broker will give you access to several Pug breeders and will also keep you away from shady pet stores and puppy mills.
The best place to buy your Pug – Reputable Breeders
There is no better place to buy your Pug from than a reputable breeder. Remember, Pugs are prone to several health issues. If you want worry-free Pug ownership, then buy from a reputable breeder.
Reputable breeders charge a premium for their litter. They set a premium because it costs a lot of money to breed dogs. Also, their dogs are from top Chinese Pug bloodlines, making it expensive. Buying your Pug puppy from a reputable breeder has several benefits, such as.
- Guaranteed purity, pedigree, and quality
- Their dogs have the best mental and physical condition
- Less chance of genetic issues
- Guidance from a top Pug owner
Reputable Pug breeders will guide you, answer any questions, and address any concerns you might have. You can find top Pug breeders on dogsindia.com. Top breeders also register their kennel with KCI.
regular home breeder
Regular breeders are dog fanciers who have top quality dogs and breed them as a hobby. These are not professional breeders but one level above casual dog owners.
Buying your puppy from such a breeder is an excellent choice if you can find one in your locality. Buying from a home breeder has several pros, such as
- Excellent Pug at a relatively low price
- Pugs with the right mental and physical makeup
Ensure the following when you decide to buy your Pug from a home breeder.
- Review the KCI papers of their breeding pair. Don’t buy if the parent dogs are not KCI certified.
- Insist on meeting the puppy along with its mother.
- Check references, someone who can vouch for the quality of their litter.
The dog food cost for Pug in India
All dogs need proper nutrition to reach their best shape. Pug is a small toy breed that eats food in small portions, and your food cost will not be as high as that of a Golden Retriever.
Remember, dog food will be your single highest monthly expense. Pugs need protein-rich food. Never overfeed your Pug as they are prone to obesity. Also, avoid food that has high carbs, such as rice.
We recommend that you read our top dog food review in India to learn all about feeding your Pug. On average, expect your monthly food cost to be between ₹1,500 to ₹2,500 depending on the dog food brand you choose.
Before you buy your puppy, get in touch with a vet near you. A vet can give you information about the health of the Pug breed. He/she can also give you an idea of all your medical expenses.
Expect your average annual medical expense to be around ₹6,000. The following will be your medical expenses for your Pug.
- Vaccination expense
- Neutering/Spaying cost
Your Pug puppy will need vaccinations against common diseases. Parvovirus in India is a deadly disease that affects puppies less than six months of age.
Avoid taking your Pug on a walk until the Parvo vaccine. This fatal disease spreads through the soil, and puppies easily contract it. Talk to your breeder to know if your puppy had the Parvo vaccine. Remember to complete all the vaccinations on time.
Get your vaccination schedule card from your vet to keep track of the vaccinations. Each vaccine in India costs between ₹750 to ₹1,500.
Spaying your Pug has several health benefits for your dog. We recommend that you sterilize your Pug if you don’t plan to breed your dog. Please note, breeding dogs is not for everyone and is expensive.
Don’t assume that you can easy money by breeding your dog. Pug breeding is expensive, time-consuming, and messy. Pug also needs a lot of care during pregnancy and is prone to several health issues.
Neutering your dog is a surgical procedure that requires expert vet care. Don’t opt to spay your Pug if you don’t have proper veterinary care in your city.
In India, the cost of neutering varies from one city to another. In smaller cities, it can cost you between ₹4,000 to ₹6,000, whereas in metro cities, it can cost up to ₹12,000.
Deworming and other medical expenses for your Pug
Pugs are playful and tend to hurt themselves while playing. Be ready with antiseptic sprays, bandages, and Dettol. Never leave any wound unattended. Dogs have good immunity and tend to clean their wounds by licking. Don’t stop your dog from licking its wound; their saliva contains antibiotics that prevent infection.
Use a good deworming medicine. Deworming your Pug will help your dog retain the nutrition from its food. Consult your vet on the worming medication, schedule, and dosage. The dosage is proportional to your Pug’s weight. Your vet will be able to guide you with the accurate dosage.
In India, Pugs need deworming between three to six months, depending on their food habits and age. Worming medicine is not expensive; each tablet will cost you approx ₹100.
In addition to this medicine, you will also need
- Antiseptic spray, cotton, and band-aids. Approx ₹500
- Ticks and flea powder, shampoos, etc. Approx ₹1,500
Pugs have a single short coat that does not require grooming. Groom your puppy once a week to keep its fur clean. You will need things like a brush, shampoo, tick powder, and towels.
Don’t bathe your puppy more than once a month. Only use dog shampoos and conditioners on your Beagle. Using human shampoo can damage their skin and cause rashes and itches.
Pug accessories cost
Your dog will need items such as bed, collar & leash, food & water bowls, and chew toys. You can expect the accessories cost to be approx ₹4,000.
Pugs have a stubborn character and can be difficult to train. They are not like working dog breeds, which are eager to please and work. If you can afford it, you can hire a dog trainer who can train your puppy.
We recommend that you train your dog by using YouTube dog training videos. Remember to keep your training sessions short and use reward-based training for the best result.
If you decide to hire a trainer for your dog, it will cost you approx ₹5,000 to ₹7,000 per month.
We don’t recommend commercial treats for your Pug. Homemade treats such as eggs, cheese, paneer, meat, and veggies are an excellent choice for your Pug puppy.
Pug insurance cost in India
We recommend that you buy a pet health insurance policy for your Pug. Read our extensive post about pet insurance in India to choose the best pet insurer in India.
Pug walking and other services cost
Pugs require a moderate amount of exercise to stay in shape. Remember, this breed is prone to obesity and needs physical activity each day to stay in shape.
In India, you can hire a dog walker depending on your city. A dog walker will charge you ₹500 to ₹1,500 per month.
The best way to travel with your Pug dog take your dog along in your car or use the train. Pug is a small dog breed, and it is easy to take them along in your travels. If you don’t plan to take your dog along, you can choose a boarding kennel or a dog hotel while you are away.
Alternatives to a Pug in India
You can consider these breeds if you are unable to find a Pug in your city.
- Golden Retriever puppy
- Labrador puppy
- Cocker Spaniel – If you can find one in your city.
- Puggle puppy – A cross between Beagle and Pug
- French Bulldog
Remember, native Indian dog breeds are also an excellent choice. Indian dogs thrive in our weather and are easy to maintain.
Conclusion: Pug dog price
Pug is a beautiful family dog. They are charming, loving, affectionate, and cute dogs. Pug’s small size, quiet nature, and cuteness make them an ideal pet for the apartment. You can expect your annual expense for your Pug dog to be less than ₹65,000.