- 1 Introduction: Prices for 100 dog breeds in India
- 2 2020 Dog prices in India
- 3 The importance of dog prices in India
- 4 Exceptions to our list of dog prices in India
- 5 How to read our list of dog prices?
- 6 Why should you trust our dog breed prices in India?
- 7 Dog breed buying tips in India
- 8 Conclusion
Introduction: Prices for 100 dog breeds in India
Dogs are such magnificent animals; almost everyone is fascinated by them. In India today, we see several breeds of dogs, native and non-native. We wanted to help our readers by providing this list of dog prices in India as a guideline that they can rely on while choosing a dog for them.
2020 Dog prices in India
|Breed||Pet Quality (₹)||Show Quality (₹)||Yearly cost (₹)||Availability||Adaptability to India||Apartment living||Special needs||Country||Health||Size|
|5,00,000||17,00,000||3,49,200||Not Available||Low||Not suited||Yes||USA||Good||Large|
|5,00,000||9,00,000||3,34,800||Not Available||High||Not suited||Yes||Argentina||Good||Large|
|20,00,000||25,00,000||5,50,800||Not Available||Low||Not suited||Yes||Unknown||Poor||Giant|
|4,50,000||10,00,000||3,49,200||Not Available||Low||Not suited||Yes||Japan||Good||Large|
|10,00,000||20,00,000||5,29,200||Not Available||Low||Not suited||Yes||Turkey||Good||Giant|
|4,50,000||8,00,000||2,59,200||Not Available||Low||Not suited||Yes||Japan||Good||Medium|
|5,00,000||7,00,000||1,16,400||Not Available||Low||Not suited||No||Australia||Good||Large|
|9,00,000||16,00,000||5,29,200||Not Available||Low||Not suited||Yes||Afghanisthan||Good||Giant|
|15,00,000||20,00,000||5,29,200||Not Available||Low||Not suited||Yes||Russia||Good||Giant|
|7,00,000||10,00,000||5,29,200||Not Available||Low||Not suited||Yes||Switzerland||Good||Giant|
|10,50,000||20,00,000||5,14,800||Not Available||High||Not suited||Yes||South Africa||Good||Giant|
|15,00,000||20,00,000||5,29,200||Not Available||Low||Not suited||Yes||Russia||Good||Giant|
|50,000||70,000||1,09,200||Low||High||Not suited||No||South Africa||Excellent||Large|
|4,50,000||8,00,000||3,49,200||Not Available||Low||Not suited||Yes||Germany||Good||Large|
|4,50,000||10,00,000||81,600||Not Available||High||Not suited||No||Africa||Good||Medium|
|15,00,000||20,00,000||2,59,200||Not Available||Low||Not suited||Yes||Hungary||Good||Medium|
|30,000||40,000||76,800||Medium||Excellent||Not suited||No||Middle East||Excellent||Medium|
|4,50,000||8,00,000||81,600||Not Available||High||Not suited||No||UK||Good||Medium|
|15,00,000||20,00,000||3,49,200||Not Available||Low||Not suited||Yes||Finland||Good||Large|
|9,50,000||16,00,000||3,34,800||Not Available||High||Not suited||Yes||Unknown||Good||Large|
|20,00,000||25,00,000||3,49,200||Not Available||Low||Not suited||Yes||Czech||Good||Large|
|4,50,000||8,00,000||86,400||Not Available||Low||Not suited||No||Korea||Good||Medium|
The importance of dog prices in India
The list of dog prices in India is vital for the following reasons.
- Dog owner: The Indian pet industry is the fastest-growing pet industry in the world. More people are looking to buy a dog than ever before. We want our list of dog breed prices to be a guide to dog owners.
- Dog breeders: The cost of owning and breeding a dog has increased exponentially. Our list of dog prices will give the dog breeders a fair guideline considering all the expenses that they incur in producing top quality dogs.
- Brokers: Today, in India, it is the pet brokers and pet shops that run the dog sales. The brokers play an essential part in bringing dog owners to dog breeders.
We want our list to be helpful to all our readers. In the long run, we hope that this will act as a guide for anyone looking to buy a dog in India.
Exceptions to our list of dog prices in India
We want our readers to note kindly; this list does not account for exceptions. Our list of 100 dog breed prices in India gives you averages. There are Great Danes in India that can cost you over ₹1,00,000. We consider this as an exception and not as a norm.
How to read our list of dog prices?
The cost of a dog is not merely the cost of the puppy. One needs to take into account several factors, such as.
We divided the puppy price into two categories.
- Pet Quality: 99% of dog owners need just pet quality dogs. These are dogs that some minor, unnoticeable fault that makes them less-fit (not unfit) show ring. For instance, an undershot jaw is a fault in dog shows.
- Show Quality: These are expensive because they are show worthy with no faults.
- Kindly note, statistically only 1 or 2 dogs out of 50 are show worthy. Dogs from the same litter (same parent) can be show and pet quality.
Total annual cost
Annual cost is your recurring yearly cost. We have accounted for the most common recurring expense. This price does NOT include the initial puppy cost.
- Food expenses: The cost of dog food will be your number one recurring cost. Food expenses are directly proportional to the size of the dog. The larger the dog, the more it needs to eat.
- Vet expenses: 85% of the 100 dog breed list is non-native dogs. Non-native dogs require additional care, vet expenses than the native dogs. Our dog prices list accounts for this factor as well.
- Health: Health is another vital factor that one needs to take into account. Pug, while it is small, is prone to many health issues.
- Adaptability to India: Indian weather is generally hot and humid. Since this is a guideline, our list does not account for exceptions, such as snowy regions in India. Hence, our list considers Himalayan Shepherd, a native dog, to be less adapted to India.
- Availability of the dogs breed in India: Our list of 100 dog breeds with prices in India also accounts for the availability of the dogs. Today in India, we see exotic dogs from every corner of the planet. Some like the Indian Spitz has indeed become a native dog. The sale and its cost of a dog depend on availability as well.
- Special needs: Some dogs require specialized care. Husky is growing very popular in India. Husky is a sled dog that originates in one of the coldest places on our planet, Siberia. Owning a Husky in Chennai’s hot and humid conditions will require specialized care, such as always running air conditioning.
Why should you trust our dog breed prices in India?
Our 100 dog price list in India is not merely some random number calculation. As you can see, a lot of thought, experience, and brainstorming went in to create this list. We wanted our readers to get the most relevant, accurate, and timely information for them to make the right choice.
Dog breed buying tips in India
Our mission at barks.in is to empower our audience with accurate information. Merely providing a price list for 100 commonly seen dog breeds in India is not going to help potential buyers. We hope these tips will help you to make the right choices.
How to choose the right breeder?
Follow these steps
- A good breeder cares for his dog more than money. Speaking to the breeder will make it clear what their motives are.
- A good Rottweiler breeder will never sell his pups to a first-time dog owner.
- A good breeder will guide you and will be open about their dogs. They welcome people to visit their dogs and home/kennel.
- A good breeder will ask you more questions about your home, family, and experience with dogs than you ask of them.
- A bad breeder will negotiate, drop prices, and will be reluctant to take you to the pup’s parents.
Common mistakes people make while buying a dog in India
- Being impressed by the dog’s looks and picking up an incompatible dog. A German Shepherd looks impressive, and it is an excellent guard dog. GSDs are the second most intelligent dog on the planet. All of these are very impressive. However, did you know that they shed their hair to the extent that you will see it everywhere?
- People walk into a pet shop and walk out with a puppy after paying a premium. Never buy without learning about a breed of dog. Never buy from pet shops which cannot tell you about the dog’s breeder.
- Never buy a dog online, never agree to pay money to a promises to ship your puppy.
- Never pay a premium because the dog has a KCI certificate. We have come across many instances of fake KCI certificates.
Common tricks to fool dog buyers
- Showing a KCI certificate that belongs to a different dog. This fraud is one of the most common. Dealers buy KCI certificates from dog breeders and use them on other pups.
- Dealers put up fake ads about exotic dogs online. They then ask you to pay for flight shipping charges for the pup. Once you pay, they disappear.
- Dealers try to fool you with crosses and poor quality pups.
Choosing the right dog breed for you
Remember, buying a dog is a long time commitment. Bigger, aggressive, and impressive dogs mean higher costs. Your giant English Mastiff will look impressive at the same time will put a hole in your pocket. Choose the dog wisely; don’t be impressed by a dog because of its looks.
The easiest way to determine the right dog for you is to ask your family members to list down what they expect from the dog. Once you have the purpose, you can then choose dogs that fulfill that purpose.
Native dog versus non-native dogs
Indian dogs have several advantages over non-native dogs. They are very healthy, low maintenance, and thrive in our homes. In our opinion, all dogs are great. Every breed fulfills a specific purpose.
The dog prices in India vary by city, the breed of dog, the quality of the pup, etc. Our list is based on well-researched data and personal experiences. We hope our list of 2020 dog prices provides a guideline to our readers.