- 1 Introduction: Dog Price for 100 breeds in India
- 2 2020 Dog price in India
- 3 The importance of dog prices in India
- 4 Exceptions to our list of puppy price in India
- 5 How to read our list of dog price in India?
- 6 Why should you trust our dog breed prices in India?
- 7 Puppy buying tips in India
- 8 New puppy essential items in India
- 9 Conclusion
Introduction: Dog Price for 100 breeds in India
Dogs are such magnificent animals; almost everyone is fascinated by them. In India today, we see several breeds of dogs, native and non-native. We wanted to help our readers by providing this list of dog prices in India as a guideline that they can rely on while choosing a dog for them.
2020 Dog price in India
|Breed||Pet Quality (₹)||Show Quality (₹)||Yearly cost (₹)||Availability||Adaptability to India||Apartment living||Special needs||Country||Health||Size|
|5,00,000||17,00,000||3,49,200||Not Available||Low||Not suited||Yes||USA||Good||Large|
|5,00,000||9,00,000||3,34,800||Not Available||High||Not suited||Yes||Argentina||Good||Large|
|20,00,000||25,00,000||5,50,800||Not Available||Low||Not suited||Yes||Unknown||Poor||Giant|
|4,50,000||10,00,000||3,49,200||Not Available||Low||Not suited||Yes||Japan||Good||Large|
|10,00,000||20,00,000||5,29,200||Not Available||Low||Not suited||Yes||Turkey||Good||Giant|
|4,50,000||8,00,000||2,59,200||Not Available||Low||Not suited||Yes||Japan||Good||Medium|
|5,00,000||7,00,000||1,16,400||Not Available||Low||Not suited||No||Australia||Good||Large|
|9,00,000||16,00,000||5,29,200||Not Available||Low||Not suited||Yes||Afghanisthan||Good||Giant|
|15,00,000||20,00,000||5,29,200||Not Available||Low||Not suited||Yes||Russia||Good||Giant|
|7,00,000||10,00,000||5,29,200||Not Available||Low||Not suited||Yes||Switzerland||Good||Giant|
|10,50,000||20,00,000||5,14,800||Not Available||High||Not suited||Yes||South Africa||Good||Giant|
|15,00,000||20,00,000||5,29,200||Not Available||Low||Not suited||Yes||Russia||Good||Giant|
|50,000||70,000||1,09,200||Low||High||Not suited||No||South Africa||Excellent||Large|
|4,50,000||8,00,000||3,49,200||Not Available||Low||Not suited||Yes||Germany||Good||Large|
|4,50,000||10,00,000||81,600||Not Available||High||Not suited||No||Africa||Good||Medium|
|15,00,000||20,00,000||2,59,200||Not Available||Low||Not suited||Yes||Hungary||Good||Medium|
|30,000||40,000||76,800||Medium||Excellent||Not suited||No||Middle East||Excellent||Medium|
|4,50,000||8,00,000||81,600||Not Available||High||Not suited||No||UK||Good||Medium|
|15,00,000||20,00,000||3,49,200||Not Available||Low||Not suited||Yes||Finland||Good||Large|
|9,50,000||16,00,000||3,34,800||Not Available||High||Not suited||Yes||Unknown||Good||Large|
|20,00,000||25,00,000||3,49,200||Not Available||Low||Not suited||Yes||Czech||Good||Large|
|4,50,000||8,00,000||86,400||Not Available||Low||Not suited||No||Korea||Good||Medium|
The importance of dog prices in India
The list of dog prices in India is vital for the following reasons.
- Dog owner: The Indian pet industry is the fastest-growing pet industry in the world. More people are looking to buy a dog today than ever before. We want our list of dog breed prices to be a guide to dog owners.
- Dog breeders: The cost of owning and breeding a dog has increased exponentially. Our list of dog prices hopefully will provide the dog breeders a fair guideline considering all the expenses that they incur in producing top quality dogs.
- Brokers: Today, in India, it is the pet brokers and pet shops that run the dog sales. The brokers play an essential part in bringing dog owners to dog breeders.
We want our list to be helpful to all our readers. In the long run, we hope that this will act as a guide for anyone looking to buy a dog in India.
Exceptions to our list of puppy price in India
We want our readers to note kindly; this list does not account for exceptions. Our list of 100 dog breed prices in India gives you averages. There are Great Danes in India that can cost you over ₹1,00,000. We consider this as an exception and not as a norm.
There are no Indian dog breeders for exotic dogs, such as the Wolf dog or the Japanese Akita. You will need to shell out a heft price to import these into India.
How to read our list of dog price in India?
The cost of a dog is not merely the cost of the puppy. One needs to take into account several factors, such as.
We divided the puppy price into two categories.
- Pet Quality: 99% of dog owners need just pet quality dogs. These are dogs that some minor, unnoticeable fault that makes them less-fit (not unfit) show ring. For instance, an undershot jaw is a fault in dog shows.
- Show Quality: These are expensive because they are show worthy with no faults.
- Kindly note, statistically only 1 or 2 dogs out of 50 are show worthy. Dogs from the same litter (same parent) can be show and pet quality.
Total annual cost
Annual cost is your recurring yearly cost. We have accounted for the most common recurring expenses, such as food, vet, and health.
This price does NOT include the initial puppy cost.
- Food expenses: The cost of dog food will be your number one recurring cost. Food expenses are directly proportional to the size of the dog. The larger the dog, the more it needs to eat.
- Vet expenses: 85% of the 100 dog breed list is non-native dogs. Non-native dogs require additional care than native dogs. Our dog prices list accounts for this factor as well.
- Health: Health is another vital factor that one needs to take into account. Pugs, while they are small, are susceptible to several health issues.
- Adaptability to India: Indian weather is generally hot and humid. Since this is a guideline, our list does not account for exceptions, such as snowy regions in North India. Hence, our list considers Himalayan Shepherd, a native dog, to be less adapted to the general Indian conditions.
- Availability of the dogs breed in India: Our list of 100 dog breeds with prices in India also accounts for the availability of the dogs. Today in India, we see exotic dogs from every corner of the planet. Some like the Indian Spitz has indeed become a native dog. The price of a dog depends on its availability as well.
- Special needs: Some dogs require specialized care. Husky is becoming very popular in India. Husky is from one of the coldest places on our planet, Siberia. Owning a Husky in Chennai’s hot and humid conditions will require specialized care, such as full-time air conditioning.
Why should you trust our dog breed prices in India?
Our 101 dog price list in India is not some random, out of the blue calculation. As you can see, a lot of thought, experience, and brainstorming went into creating this list. We want our readers to get the most relevant, accurate, and timely information for them to make the right choice.
Puppy buying tips in India
Our mission at barks.in is to empower our audience with accurate information. Merely providing a price list for 100 commonly seen dog breeds in India is not going to help potential buyers. We hope these tips will help you to make the right choices.
How to choose the right dog breeder?
Please follow these steps
- A good breeder cares for his dog more than money. Speaking to the breeder will make their motives clear.
- A good Rottweiler breeder will never sell his pups to a first-time dog owner.
- A good breeder will guide you and will be open about their dogs.
- A good breeder will ask you more questions about your home, family, and experience with dogs than you ask of them.
- A bad breeder will negotiate, drop prices, and will be reluctant to take you to the pup’s parents.
Common mistakes people make while buying a dog in India
- Being impressed by the dog’s looks and picking up an incompatible dog. A German Shepherd dog looks impressive, and it is an excellent guard dog. However, did you know that they are also the German shedder, a nickname because of constant shedding?
- People walk into a pet shop and walk out with a puppy after paying a premium. Never buy without learning about a breed of dog. Never buy from a pet store which cannot tell you about the dog’s breeder. Did you know Beagle is a scent hound bred for hunting?
- Never buy a dog online, never agree to pay money to a promises to ship your puppy.
- Never pay a premium because the dog has a KCI certificate. We have come across many instances of fake KCI certificates.
Common tricks to fool dog buyers
- Using a Kennel Club of India (KCI) certificate that belongs to a different dog. This fraud is one of the most common. Dealers buy KCI certificates from dog breeders and use them on pups from a different litter to increase their market value.
- Dealers put up fake ads about exotic dogs online. They then ask you to pay for flight shipping charges for the pup. Once you pay, they disappear.
- Dealers try to fool you with crosses and poor quality pups. Assessing the quality of a puppy requires experience. All puppies are cute, don’t fall into the cuteness trap.
Choosing the right dog breed for you
Remember, buying a dog is a long time commitment. Bigger, aggressive, and impressive dogs mean higher costs. Your giant English Mastiff will look impressive at the same time will put a hole in your pocket. Choose the dog wisely; don’t be impressed by a dog because of its looks.
The easiest way to determine the right dog for you is to ask your family members to list down what they expect from the dog. Once you have the purpose, you can then choose dogs that fulfill that purpose.
Native dog versus non-native dogs
Indian dog breeds have several advantages over non-native dogs. They are very healthy, low maintenance, and thrive in our homes. In our opinion, all dogs are great. Every breed fulfills a specific purpose.
New puppy essential items in India
Once you decide to get a new puppy, we recommend getting the following ready for your new puppy.
Collar and Leash
A collar and a leash is a must for a puppy. Puppies generally outgrow their first collar. However, a collar is a must for a dog and a puppy without which you won’t be able to train the puppy.
Ensure that you get a good quality collar that will be comfortable for the puppy. Getting a leash helps you to train your puppy to walk, learn good manners, and be acceptable around people.
Buy a good quality bedding that is soft and ventilated. We don’t recommend allowing your dog on your bed. Dogs need to learn their place in the human pack. In the wild pack leaders, take the best stop, in this case, you in your mattress.
Treats are an excellent way to train your dogs. We recommend positive reinforcement training for your puppy. Tasty and nutritious treats make your training sessions easy. If your puppy loses interest in the treat, then your training sessions will be unproductive.
Puppies need teething toys. These toys are a must if you want to save your furniture, shoes, and clothes from your cloth line.
Bowls for food and water
Containers for food and water are necessary items. Puppies are sloppy eaters. Choose bowls that are slip and spill-free to protect your flooring.
Dog Food container
You will need a good quality sealed container for storing dog food. Ensure you get an airtight container.
Good quality dog food is crucial for your puppy’s health and growth. We recommend that you read our review of the best dog food in India and choose a recommended brand.
The dog prices in India vary by city, the breed of dog, the quality of the pup, etc. The basis of our list is well-researched data, personal experiences, and a strong desire to promote native dogs. We hope our list of 2020 dog prices in India provides a guideline to our readers.